First of all the title of this blog is ALMOST an oxymoron in itself ; because one may think there is no quick way to building trust in the first place, either it’s there or it’s not. Well that may be true, to a certain extent. It does take the betrayed person to make a decision to trust; but that decision can be influenced and trust can be rebuilt in any relationship.
Trust in any relationship is a hard thing to gain and even harder to regain once it’s lost! When someone loses your trust or better still when you are trying to regain the trust of someone you have lied to, cheated on or betrayed it can be almost impossible to regain… but it doesn’t have to be!
There are a few tried and true ways for you to trust in someone again or for you to rebuild the trust of someone you’ve betrayed. These tips aren’t all-inclusive but they are a starting point. And we all know that starting is half-the battle!
5 Tips to rebuilding TRUST!
1. Take full responsibility for your actions (Don’t dismiss their feelings, recognize that what you did to them was wrong)
2. Give the other person time (It may take 3 months or it may take 3 years)
3. Give the other person space (Don’t smother them by trying to be around them all the time)
4. Keep your word (Do what you say you are going to do and be where you say you are going to be.)
5. Recognize that they will flip flop in trusting and not trusting you until they feel safe again.
Relationships are the essence of life and everyone regardless of what they may say or think needs them! No, you may not need a lot of them but you do need a few in your life in order to have a happy, healthy and productive life.
So if you have been bitten by the betrayal bug know that all hope isn’t lost; just by taking note of the 5 tips listed above ANYONE can rebuild trust in ANY RELATIONSHIP all it takes is some time, some resilience a lot of patience and a whole lot of COURAGE!
Relationships DO Matter!